Monday, February 14, 2011

First Meeting with CBCWJC

I have my first meeting tonight with Common Bond Christian Women's Job Corp (CBCWJC).  I volunteered to be a mentor for women that are trying to improve their lives and get better jobs.  I am not really sure what to expect, but I am excited.

I am also a dog trainer and my business, Sunshine Canine, is listed - incorrectly I might add - in the yellow pages as a veterinary hospital.  How?  I have no idea.  Anyway, I received a resume from a kid looking for a job over the weekend.  I took a look at her resume and I was very underwhelmed.  Basically, the only information I gained about her was her name, address, phone number, email address and a picture.  All of the rest of the information was pretty much useless.  She said she went to school for Equestrian Studies.  Ok, well, not being a big horse person, I don't have any idea what that would include.  So I sent her some suggestions on how to improve her resume.  Hopefully she didn't just delete my email and not try to improve it.

I have really been thinking about this image consultant career and where I could find my niche.  Besides preferring to focus on plus and full figured women, I believe that I could draw on my 26 years of office experience and really focus in on creating a professional image.  This could include:
  • reworking your resume,
  • creating a professional business card,
  • creating a professional interview and work wardrobe,
  • coaching on appropriate behavior in the office,
  • coaching on appropriate travel behavior
  • coaching on business presentations - the outfit and the actual presentation itself.
There are so many people that are looking to get a job, get a better job, improve their station in life, and improve their odds of getting promotions.  Basically, that is what I will be doing on a volunteer basis for CBCWJC.  They even asked if I would be willing to teach some courses and hold some workshops.  Yes!!! I would! 

So, I guess I will keep you posted on the meeting tonight.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment